17 January 2011

Remember Me

Looking about me I felt the drip, the blood on the floor made me slip
Once their opportunity rang, with fang, they sang and with club beat me
Now cold, now clapping, now shivering, I began my mighty whining
I felt the uncouth timing of the bell chiming, and away they took me
One guard still has a tooth as a token and away they took me
Yes, a token to remember me!

The first light of day I saw after the fourth call of the cockerel,
 And as one set free amongst the dogs, I tried to run but couldn’t see
Was wrapped, was trapped, was attacked, was burdened with a heavy, foul tree
I crept before my torturers and begged of them what I was to be
Another whip I felt and wept and begged of them what I was to be,
I begged them so to free me.

Such a fury possessed my soul, Hades’ own rage-battalion
Dragged all light from my ambition; death’s delight was my bounty.
Such comfort my perverse heart found in wrath’s anointing
That I laughed before a departed mortal, heedlessly,
Laughed before the law crashed upon me heedlessly,
Oh, sanity had abandoned me.

I fell to my knees, and so my captors tore my apparel-
All saw the gore! By the Roman’s law I was nailed to a tree.
And all could see, they jeered and smeared dust in my eye,
Why, oh why, Yahwe is my trial such a tempest of fury?
Dragged to a hilltop, I am, pushed onward by unruly fury.
Significance, please, forget me!

Agony discovered my wretched body at the skull’s feet,
But behold! There was company, pitiful I was not only,
For two others I found dragging their burdens along the horde.
One, a hard, helpless, cruel man, was flogged for a fierce felony,
The other, fairness covered in crimson, but for what felony?
Between them was tainted me.

The mad mockery made for the fine man like a mighty fleet,
A king, whose coronation brought him a crown that was thornily,
So feeble was his strength by now, that his burden was not his own,
Shaking, scraping the floor, feeling the gore, I wondered of his story.
What solemn sin had summoned him to this juncture in his story?
The thought overshadowed me.

I placed my soul central, wasting wearily as a wastrel,
Justice was my burden, and I suffered for my fallacy.
But what vice would suffice to see this king bare such a sting?
Why such aching for such wonderful, infallible royalty?
We crawled to the pinnacle, I marvelled at his royalty.
The man looked towards me.

The guards, as a piece of meat, placed the King of the Jews on his seat.
As I was poled to the dead ground, I looked to the King wearily,
Amidst all the jeering, I saw at last who it was bleeding.
Like a suddenly birthed seedling, I saw the truth firmly,
Strangely, divine royalty had come to suffer firmly,
It all bewildered me.

The behemoth’s whip sprung to behold the immortal’s flesh rip,
“Speak, noble God, with one word you can rebuke your enemy!”
Yet he hangs, denying his right to see his strength reviving.
Justly, no longer shall I ever walk free; liberty is not for me,
Yet undeservedly does this marvel die beside me,
Darkness crept towards me.

“You! Liberate our carcasses to prove that divine kingship.”
The insolence! Only my Lord’s silence appeased my fury.
I spoke – “A whimsical word of a criminal’s contriving,
This King should not suffer foolish words from one as me,
For all creation is alike, but this wonder is not one as me,
Jesus, remember me.”

The Host of Shade rode on a galleon; prizing their medallion
It covered the Son, finally won - triumph over eternity!
The Pits burst forth into a noxious toxin of rejoicing.
All creation was wondering, when would the Father see?
As I breathed my last, what would the Father see
When he would look at me?

My eyes opened! I beheld a diamond. A bright shining star!
My lungs are filled with wind anew, pain is an absent enemy.
I behold amazingly; humbled, loving, laughing divinity.
The diamond speaks “You begged on a tree to remember me,
Come now and be free, and for eternity laugh with me,
For you asked that of me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment